Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Electric cars are incredibly popular on the Hawaiian Islands; however, they also require an electric vehicle charging station. The good news is that there are trained professionals who can install an electric car charger quickly and easily. Furthermore, there are additional benefits that come with owning an electric car.
The Benefits of Electric Vehicles
Some of the benefits of owning an electric vehicle:
- Electric Cars are Cheaper to Operate: The biggest benefit of owning an electric car is that no money is spent on fuel. While the exact numbers vary from vehicle to vehicle, on average, the electricity to charge a car costs close to 70 percent less than the fuel required to travel that same distance.
- Less Expensive to Maintain: Car maintenance is one of the hidden costs of owning a vehicle. The good news is that a battery has fewer moving parts than a standard engine. This means that maintenance costs will be much lower. There are no exhaust systems, fuel injection systems, radiators, or starter motors.
- Environmental Benefits: Of course, everyone must consider the environmental benefits of electric cars. They produce less pollution (with zero emissions), use a renewable energy source, and are built from eco-friendly materials. This is a great way to protect the gorgeous environment that defines the Hawaiian Islands.
In addition to the numerous benefits of owning an electric car, there are added incentives to construct an electric vehicle charging station.While the State of Hawaii does not currently offer any electric vehicle tax credits or rebates, there is a large incentive available from the federal government. Retail and commercial property owners can claim a tax benefit under the Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit.Section 182 of this regulation states that those who install an electric car charger are eligible for a tax credit equal to 30 percent of the cost, with a max value of $30,000. Clearly, this is a major financial incentive for property owners to install an electric vehicle charging station.It’s important to note that the State of Hawaii requires by law that commercical properties provide a minimum of one charging station per 100 parking spaces or stalls.
The State of Hawaii requires at least one electric vehicle charging unit per 100 parking spaces or stalls.
Requirements for Electric Vehicle Charging Unit
In order for an electric car charger to function appropriately, there are a few requirements that have to be met. Some of the best practices include:
- There must be bollards to protect the equipment, particularly if the charging equipment and parked vehicle sit on the same surface
- There should be adequate lighting with easy access to the controls and charger
The station must be sheltered from direct sun and rain
- There should be signs that are clearly legible that identify the charging station